The Sacramento news stations report water intoxication. Fellow contestant James Ybarra of Woodland said he met Strange at the event and had no idea of the potential danger of water poisoning. Ybarra said after he quit, the remaining contestents were given even larger bottles to drink to stay in the competition. Strange was still in the contest when he opted out.
So, I am sure by now we have all heard about this woman that was in a contest put on by a radio show. Apparently she drowned herself because she drank so much water and did not urinate at all. It is obviously deadly to drink fluids and NOT urinate- hence the hospitals requiring you to urinate before leaving after surgery. What do you think about the stupidity of the woman involved, leaving young children behind because of her idiocracy?
“Hold Your Wee for a Wii” Costs Radio Station Dearly
Jennifer Strange pictured , a mom to three kids, died of apparent water intoxication during "Hold Your Wee for a Wii," a contest held by KDND-FM of Sacramento in January , not two months after the Wii debuted and demand for the console was white-hot. The jury found the station negligent in the death, especially for ignoring several warnings that the point of the stunt - drinking a ton of water and refusing to pee - could have fatal consequences. Ten station employees were fired after the death; Entercom Sacramento, the company that owns KDND, sounds like it will not be appealing the verdict. A spokesman told the Los Angeles Times that, "We respect the jury's decision and hope that it will assist the Strange family in coping with its loss. During the trial a tape of the program revealed that an on-air host had mentioned the potential fatal effects of drinking too much water - citing a fraternity hazing death.
When the Wii debuted in November of , demand for the system far outstripped supplies, leading some people to go to extremes to get their hands on one. After drinking an estimated two gallons of water without urinating or vomiting, the year-old mother of three told a colleague that she felt sick and had a "really bad" headache. She was later found dead in her suburban home, apparently from water intoxication. Drinking excess amounts of water causes the problem of too little sodium in the body hyponatremia and can cause swelling of the brain, vomiting, headaches, seizures, coma, and, in extreme cases, death. In the wake of Strange's death, the Sacramento Bee reported that the radio station DJs joked during the contest about people dying of water intoxication, going so far as to say, "Maybe we should have researched this.